Friday 7 March 2014

Geometric vintage blouse

Happy Friday everyone! 
Gosh, I'm smashing this vintage sewing pattern pledge that I've made just under a month ago! Here's my second item made from vintage pattern already, though this is from an original rather than a reproduction like my Vogue 1137. This was kind of my trial run for this year's Mad Men challenge, and I'm reasonably happy with how it's turned out. 

So I used Simplicity 3092 from my stash, and apparently it's from 1949! I attempted to make view 2, but in this amazing geometric stretch cotton from MacCulloch & Wallis in a dark navy, mustard and white. Admittedly it's not my usual type of fabric, but I think sometimes it's good to be outside of my comfort zone. 

You may recall that this is the top that I'd like to make, in a floral cotton, eventually:
I made quite a few changes to the pattern, to fit me and to get to a design that's similar to Betty's top -- I made my usual SBA, eliminated the armhole bands (and used a bias binding facing instead), widened and sharpened the collar, moved the placket facing to the inside (the original is designed on the outside) so that when the top button is undone, the reverse side that you see is not the wrong side of the fabric, as the original pattern is deigned to be worn with the button done up. Am I making any sense?! I also changed the order in which the placket and collar were attached to the bodice.

The eagle-eyed amongst you will have noticed that I'm wearing the top with my Navy Work skirt and Ultimate Work skirt, both creations from McCalls 3830 last year.
As I say, I'm reasonably happy with the blouse, and can see myself wearing it to work. There are a few niggles, though, but then that's exactly why I'm trying out the pattern before the real deal. So the things that I hope to improve in my next version are:

  • Adding a collar stand - currently there isn't one;
  • Reducing the armholes - they are a teeny bit too big;
  • Increase the SBA - there's a lot of ease and some excess fabric on both sides still, and at the back; and
  • Making the shoulders more narrow 
Next, a not so flattering photo (my arms look kind of chubby!), but it's a close-up, so I'm sharing it with you. Can you see all those darts cinching the blouse in at the waist? I think once improved, this could be a really shapely blouse, especially in a pretty floral fabric (back in my comfort zone, eh?) 

OK, finally a bit of a life update... Today's my last day in my current job and I'm moving house over the weekend! It'll be sad to leave Reading, but I'm moving to the leafy Surrey (anyone nearby?), and hopefully into a job that is less demanding (read: more time to sew!) Whoop! Then I've got a week off to do some works to the new house (including my new sewing room!), and lots of catching up with sewing! I think it'll be time for my Mad Men Betty blouse, or even blouses! And I may have ordered a certain fantastic pattern from By Hand London! Stay tuned ;)  


  1. Oooh Alice, this is amazing! You are really putting me to shame with your progress, but inspiring me at the same time too! Once again, I've tweeted your make (#vintagepledge) and have added it to the Pinterest board!

    1. Thanks Marie! I've finally done my Mad Men version now, didn't think i was gonna fit it in! Watch this space - it's coming shortly :D

  2. Wow, I love the stunning print you chose. Your stitching looks great and you make for a very gorgeous model!

    1. Thanks Josie. I was out of my comfort zone with it but I really liked how it turned out :)

  3. I love this! The shirt turned out so cute! Beautifully made and just loving the print you used. This look is fabulous on you. I hope you make this top again!

    1. Thanks lovely lady. Actually I think the print is more >you< than me (if you don't mind me saying!)! Yep I already did - for the Mad Men blouse! Shall blog about it in the next couple of days - watch this space ;)


Thank you for stopping by! Leave a comment before you go ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...