Tuesday 17 April 2012

Wedding dress progress update

Another quick one from me - it's been a while since my last wedding dress progress update... so you must be wondering if I had given up on it already?! Not only because I spent 2.5 days on my shiny new green dress? and a couple of days feeling over the moon with it?

Of course not! I've kept going with it and now I'm pleased to report a couple of milestones!

Milestone 1. April 2012 marks the end of hand sewing of all the seams on ALL layers (yep all 7 of them!) of my wedding dress - so I have now hand overcast all the exposed seams, pressed seams flat where appropriate and catch stitched seam allowances to the fabric/underlining. I haven't got a photo to hand but will be sure to share the world of hand sewing with you when I get a chance!

Milestone 2. I'm ready for the lace-up back! I finally know how to do this!

After I made the covered cord for the loops (see Tutorial), I have altered the fit of the mock-up bodice/corselette and tried out the continuous looping as opposed to the criss-cross method adopted previously. Here's a picture of the new attempt:

I tried it on one side of the mock corselette, with 2 different types of cords. One is from Liberty, the first 7 slightly thinner loops on the left of the picture, and the other a viscose/nylon thicker cord. I preferred the Liberty one (apparently I have expensive taste :o) so will probably go for that for the wedding dress. 

Just in case that the loops still aren't strong enough, I also secured them to a strip of silk organza selvage to help maintain shape too. Now I can sleep tight!

So this is what I have ended up with:

The loops on the left are the new ones - I sewed them in between the 2 layers and simply did a dart for the right hand side. Although I feel able to proceed with the real thing now, without (a lot of) fear, there are still a couple of things that I will do differently for the wedding dress lace-up back:

1) The loops on both sides still stick out too much when pulled so I'm going to made the loops even less deep. 

2) I'm going to insert/move spiral steel boning next to the closure on both sides, in order to have a smoother finish and less wrinkles. 

Other than that, with my chosen fabric (the silk dupion), the strong but skinny cord from Liberty, and V shape that I'm finally happy with, I am ready to move forward! The end is (almost) in sight - get ready to celebrate!


  1. This article contains a lot of valuable info. I am amazed by the quality of the info and also it is a beneficial article for us, Thanks for share it.jadore wedding dresses

  2. I just need to say this is a well-informed article which you have shared here.spanish wear wholesale It is an engaging and gainful article for us. Continue imparting this sort of info, Thanks to you.

  3. Very good, This information is essential and informative which you have shared here. Read more info about Sabyasachi Lehenga. It is beneficial for beginners to develop their knowledge. It is very gainful information. Thanks for share it.

  4. I always check this type of advisory post and I found your article which is related to my interest.Hawaiian Women Short Dresses This is a great way to increase knowledge for us. Thanks for sharing an article like this.


Thank you for stopping by! Leave a comment before you go ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...